MCITP Frequently Asked Questions

Started by Abool, May 25, 2012, 09:43:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abool

Frequently Asked Questions

Q.  I have an MCITP on SQL Server 2008. How can I upgrade to an MCSE: Data Platform or MCSE: Business Intelligence certification?

A.

Customers who have achieved an MCITP on SQL Server 2008 will be able to earn an MCSE: Data Platform or MCSE: Business Intelligence certification by passing three exams. To upgrade from an MCITP: Database Administrator 2008 or an MCITP: Database Developer 2008, candidates must pass 70-457, 70-458, and 70-459. To upgrade from an MCITP: Business Intelligence 2008, candidates must pass 70-457, 70-458, and 70-460. These upgrade paths also earn the candidate the Microsoft Certified Solution Associate: SQL Server 2012 certification.

Q.  I'm pursuing an MCITP on SQL Server 2008. Should I finish it, or should I wait for the new certifications?

A.

Achieving an MCITP on SQL Server 2008 enables you to take advantage of a shorter path to upgrade your certification to SQL Server 2012. Additionally, you can demonstrate your skills on both versions of the product.

Q.  I have an MCTS on SQL Server 2008. How can I upgrade to the MCSA: SQL Server 2012?

A.

Customers who have achieved an MCTS on SQL Server 2008 will be able to earn the Microsoft Certified Solution Associate: SQL Server 2012 certification by passing two exams: 70-457 and 70-458.

Q.  I'm pursuing a SQL Server 2008 certification. How long will I have to complete it?

A.

You will be able to earn an MCITP or MCTS on SQL Server 2008 until July 2013.

Q.  Will I be able to earn MCTS certifications for passing exams that count towards the MCSA: SQL Server 2008 certification?

A.

You will continue to earn an MCTS for Exam 70-432 and exam 70-448 until July 2013. At that point, the MCTS certifications for all SQL Server 2008 exams will be discontinued.

Q.  Will each exam have a corresponding exam preparation book?

A.

Some exams will have Training Kits and others will have Exam References.

Q.  Why did you add a whole exam on querying?

A.

By seeing a successful result on this new exam, a hiring manager can be confident that the candidate has real-world querying skills.

Q.  Which types of items can I expect on these exams? Will there be any lab-based items or simulations?

A.

You can expect to see any of the question types shown in our two certification exam demos. We will also be introducing other item types that enable you to demonstrate your skills in a real-world context.

Q.  Is there a specific exam I should start with to pursue a SQL Server 2012 certification?

A.

70-461: Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012 is the most logical starting point for pursuing a SQL Server 2012 certification. However, exams can be taken in any order.

Q.  When will the exams be available?

A.

Exams are scheduled to be available in mid-June in their live version. Upgrade exams are scheduled to be available by the end of August 2012.

Q.  Why don't the MCSE certification titles include a version number?

A.

Certifications that require recertification are not "versioned" in the sense that they do not reference a product version in the certification name and may cover multiple versions of the technology.

Q.  Are some of these exams required for both MCSE certifications for SQL Server 2012?

A.

Three exams that cover core technical skills are required for both of the SQL Server 2012 MCSE certifications. Passing these three exams earns you an MCSA: SQL Server 2012.

Q.  Why did you combine the database developer and database administrator certifications?

A.

As business needs evolve, so does the demand for a database professional with a broader skillset. To ensure our certification remains relevant in today?s changing IT landscape, we merged the database developer and database administrator certifications into an overall Data Platform certification. This change also aligns with the Microsoft Partner Network Competency.

Please check MS website for up to date list.